Profectum Trainer Certificate in the Developmental, Individual Difference, Relationship-based Model (Expert)
This program allows professionals who have completed the Profectum Certificate Level 2 (CL2/Advanced) Course or equivalent, to advance to the Trainer level through lectures, discussion groups and practicum experiences training other professionals within Profectum’s programs, including the Professional Levels 1 and 2 Certificate courses, tutoring, and other settings. In addition, participants will advance their competencies in the DIR-FCD™ model through presentations and discussion of complex developmental and mental health challenges including those of older ages, integration of various approaches necessary to improve long term outcomes, coaching, advocacy, etc. Participants will also learn to review current research, conduct presentations and webcasts, in-service training programs, and more.
Upon completion of this course participants will:
- be recognized by Profectum as a competent DIR-FCD™ model expert clinician, tutor and trainer in Profectum’s Provider Directory
- be able to provide training courses under the umbrella of Profectum Foundation
- be able to use Profectum’s brand to promote workshops and training, post events on Profectum’s website and social media and more
- have access to Profectum’s training resources
- be able to provide tutoring through Profectum
- be able to provide plenaries and workshops at Profectum conferences
- be able to participate in Profectum’s Leadership Forum and Senior Clinician Meetings
Profectum Foundation reserves the right to modify course descriptions and requirements as needed.
Please Note: Certification does not imply endorsement of clinical competency. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your profession’s standards.
Brief Course Outline
Advanced webcast lectures on:
- The Foundational Capacities for Development (FCD’s™)
- Symbolic Thinking
- Visual-Spatial Development
- Mental Health, Speech-Language Pathology, Occupational and Physical Therapy Interventions
- Complex Cases
- Leading/Teaching/Facilitating Discussions and Tutoring Sessions
- Provision of Reflective Supervision, Written Reviews of Sessions, Including Provision of Feedback on Write-ups
- Education – Webcasts, Public Presentations, Community Outreach
- Mastering Technology/Running On-line Classrooms/Distance Learning Skills
- Advanced Content – Specialized Courses, Complex Cases, Other Methods
Goals and Objectives
- Demonstrate advanced competencies in clinical/education practice
- Demonstrate ability to effectively train other professionals
- Provide assessment of the effectiveness of one’s own training
- Demonstrate ability to effectively tutor other professionals
- Show competence in coaching skills
- Develop Profectum training webcasts
- Provide community outreach as a trainer in your own community
- Exhibit a deeper ability to be self-reflective
Criteria to Take the Course
Completion of Profectum’s CL2/Advanced Certificate Course or the equivalent with ICDL, The Play Project or The Floortime Center.
You must be a professional currently working in the field of speech and language, occupational or physical therapy, education, mental health (psychology, social work, counseling, marriage and family therapy), medicine, developmental optometry or the creative arts. If you are a professional working in another discipline, we welcome you to help us broaden our work!
You must have access to a minimum of three cases (children or adults with a developmental disability) throughout the course.
The attendance of a Profectum conference or completion of one of our introductory courses is recommended, but is not a requirement.
This course will run a maximum of 2 years, but can be achieved sooner if all criteria are met.* This allows participants to work at his or her own pace.
Prior experience as a trainer will be recognized. In addition to learning from faculty as support to courses and tutoring, this program will also provide the candidate with webcasts on the training process and work with candidates to develop his or her own training webcasts.
*Understand that the time-frame of the program may vary based on the availability of courses to co-lead.
- Class structure of 10-15 participants
- Participants receive a Trainer certificate upon completion of all criteria and can move at his or her own pace, not to exceed 2 years
- On-line class 1 time per month for 2 hours
- 1 hour webcast discussion
- 1 hour sharing participant work (experiences co-leading course, new training material, etc.)
- Co-lead Profectum Level 1 OR Level 2 Certificate course and participate in supervision with Senior Profectum Faculty*
- Provide tutoring to participants in the Profectum’s courses and participate in supervision sessions with faculty*
- Create new training materials within Profectum’s DIR-FCD™ model framework
- Demonstrate local outreach and training efforts in his or her community
- Ongoing training and supervision will be provided throughout the course
As this robust program offers a wide range of opportunities, participants should understand that the time commitment for this course is a minimum of 7-8 hours per month and will vary depending on when course co-leading opportunities are available.
*Participants will receive mentoring and co-lead Profectum programs with our multi-disciplinary faculty from the fields of mental health, medicine, education, OT, PT, developmental optometry, speech and creative arts.
Tuition for the 1-year Trainer Certificate Course is $2600. Payment options:
- In full for all four units
- Per unit prior to the start of each unit
- Units 1, 2, 3 & 4: $650
- Recurring automatic monthly credit card payments of $217/month are an option. Contact email@example.com for details.
The following discounts may be available:
- Profectum Member
Course Completion Requirements
The following criteria must be met in order to acquire a certificate at the end of this course. These criteria should be monitored (record notes) throughout the course:
- Attendance 80% or better*
- No more than 2 absences to the online classes over the course of the year
- No more than 2 absences to tutoring sessions over the course of the year
- *Any missed classes or tutoring groups are expected to be viewed via Zoom recording and impressions and comments shared with the group in writing
- Contributes to online classes
- Uses technology as required by instructors
- Camera is on for class
- Uses the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Contact Christie.Virtue@Profectum.org for additional criteria specific to this course
To make our training available to as broad a group as possible regardless of geography or time zones, Profectum uses video streaming and video conferencing as our standard technology tools. The course relies on you watching webcasts on your own and joining class discussions using video conferencing. You will need a relatively modern PC/MAC and modern broadband internet access. While Wi-fi can work if your home/office has excellent connectivity, a wired internet connection to your PC/MAC is highly recommended.