Growing Development through Relationships: An Introduction to the DIR-FCD Model
An inspiring introduction to the basic foundations of the Developmental, Individual Differences, Relationship-Based (DIR®) model. Development grows within a structure of foundational capacities that support relating, communicating, functioning and thinking. Within this presentation, you will learn that each child brings unique sensory processing strengths and differences that foster growth and development at different rates. Affect-rich, attuned relationships with caregivers are central to this model and support the child’s development through emotionally meaningful experiences. The powerful connections between the caregiver and child that are strengthened through the use of this model unlocks the potential for the Foundational Capacities for Development (FCD).
Goals and Objectives
This course is designed as an introduction and/or review of the basic tenets of the DIR-FCD model for clinicians, paraprofessionals, educators, parents and caregivers.
As a result of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Expand understanding of development through the lens of the DIR-FCD model.
- Demonstrate greater depth in understanding the powerful connection between the child and caregiver as the foundation for development.
- Describe, select and apply knowledge of ‘Relationship-Based, Interactive Strategies’ to support intervention in a variety of clinical, educational and home settings.
A certificate of attendance will be issued upon completion.
More than 35 video examples and 2.5 hours of facilitated group discussion are embedded throughout the program. Participants will have the opportunity to explore how the DIR-FCD model can help guide our observations, deepen our understanding and attune our intervention as we support the children and caregivers that we serve.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria to Take the Course
There are no prerequisites.
- You will need a relatively modern device (PC, MAC, TABLET, PHONE) and strong/reliable internet access.
- While Wi-fi can work if your home/office has excellent connectivity, a wired internet connection to your device is recommended.
- You can test the speed of your internet connection by visiting https://www.speedtest.net. An upload speed of 10mbps or greater is advised.
- If internet access is being shared in your home/office and others are downloading or streaming video at the same time, you may experience connectivity issues.
- Close other applications running on your device before joining the ZOOM session.
Thank you to Caroline and Marilee for such a beautiful presentation. The passion from both professionals really shows through the way they articulated this information in a simple and informative way. I am very honored to have been part of this conference and I will continue to practice it in my future career path.
The videos made the material come to life!
“An amazing opportunity to join a growing force of clinicians, educators, doctors, nurses, paraprofessionals and parents who are learning about the foundational pieces of the developmental learning model — DIR®” –Sherri Cawn, MA, CCC-SLP, Profectum Senior Faculty
“There are so many nuggets of information that were gained from this course no matter what discipline or level of experience that you come from. It’s worth it to invest the time to take this course full of real case examples, scientific data, helpful videos and the wisdom and experience of quality clinicians. I’m thankful my team had the opportunity to get started on the right foot on this amazing journey of the DIR Model. I would encourage you to do the same!”- Sarah Weiler, DIR Certificate Level 2 Provider, Clinical Coordinator & Speech-Language Pathologist
Profectum Foundation is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 01003. This Distance Learning-Interactive is offered at .6 CEUs Introductory, OT Service Delivery.
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition. See course completion requirements section below.
Instructional Methods that apply to this Course
Lecture, Independent, Group Discussion,
If a learner is in need of their participant record from this course, send an email with the request to the AOTA CE Administrator at email@example.com
* Course Completion Requirements
Learners are required to:
- Attended entirely scheduled classes
- Complete evaluation
- Complete and pass post session quiz with score of 80% or greater.
- Submit Learner Identification: https://profectum.wufoo.com/forms/mc55old1kuidv7/
Marilee Burgeson, MA, CCC-SLP
Financial Disclosure – Ms. Burgeson receives a stipend for teaching this course from Profectum Foundation.
Non Financial Disclosure – Ms. Burgeson is a Faculty Member of Profectum Foundation.
Caroline Ferguson-Walsh, MS-LP(C), CCC-SLP
Financial Disclosure – Ms. Ferguson-Walsh receives a stipend for teaching this course from Profectum Foundation.
Non Financial Disclosure – Ms. Ferguson-Walsh is a Faculty Member of Profectum Foundation.
Continuing Education & Complaint Resolution Policy
CE Provider Name and Contact Information
AOTA CE Administrator
267 Main Street, Suite 2B
Chester, NJ 07930