Professional DIR-FCD™ Model Certificate Level 1 in Emotional, Social and Cognitive Development (CL1)
CL1 is the first level of Profectum’s DIR-FCD™ professional certification courses. This online course uses the DIR-FCD™ model to guide assessment and intervention for social-emotional development in infants, children, adolescents and families.
Foundational Capacities for Development (FCD™) and working within an interdisciplinary team. The DIR-FCD™ model builds upon establishing relationships and engagement at any point in development; respecting individual differences from the perspective of occupational therapy, speech and language pathology, psychology and education; and direct work with families. This course includes:
- An introduction to the DIR-FCD™ model: Developmental, Individual Difference, Relationship-Based Approach & Foundational Capacities for Development including DIRFloortime® model and FCD™ principles
- Professionals from the fields of occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, psychology and education will share their approach to assessment and intervention of social-emotional development in each Functional Emotional Developmental Level (FEDL)
- Case-based presentations and learning are included in each webcast
- Participants share their work via video clips, receive feedback and tutoring to develop a strong understanding of how to conceptualize development within the model and improve clinical skills within their discipline
Profectum Foundation reserves the right to modify course descriptions and requirements as needed.
Brief Course Outline
A new systematic interdisciplinary curriculum provides the theoretical knowledge and applied clinical and educational foundations for integrated assessment and intervention at an introductory level. Participants are required to share their work in assessment and intervention and demonstrate competency in applying basic DIR-FCD™ principles. This intensive one-year program, led by a Profectum Faculty instructor, offers a combination of required webcast lectures, online interactive class participation, and reflective tutoring. Participants will receive feedback and be guided through clinical reasoning on their own cases during classes and tutoring sessions while working towards their Professional DIR-FCD Model Certificate in Emotional, Social and Cognitive Development.
The course will cover an introduction to the DIR-FCD™ model approach, assessment, intervention, the Foundational Capacities for Development (FCD™), coaching, and working with an interdisciplinary team. The nexus of the DIR-FCD™ model are the Functional Emotional Developmental Levels (FEDL’s), i.e. the building blocks of development. This course highlights assessment as intervention and uses developmental levels to guide intervention with individuals, including children, adolescents, young adults and their families. The strength of this clinical model is in the interdisciplinary approach to intervention. The course curriculum allows participants to integrate different perspectives in clinical and educational domains.
The DIR-FCD™ model builds upon establishing relationships and engagement at any point in development, respecting individual differences from the perspective of the different disciplines, and working with families. The nexus of the DIR-FCD™ model are the Functional Emotional Developmental Levels (FEDL’s), i.e., the building blocks of development. This course highlights assessment as intervention and uses the developmental levels to guide intervention with individuals, including children, adolescents and young adults and their families. The strength of this clinical model is in the interdisciplinary approach to intervention. The course curriculum allows participants to integrate different discipline perspectives in clinical and educational domains.
Goals and Objectives
Professional DIR-FCD™ Model Certificate in Emotional, Social and Cognitive Development participants will be able to:
- Identify and discuss individual differences and their impact on development – FCD’s™
- Define Functional Emotional Developmental Levels (FEDLs) including identifying each one within case examples
- Converse in basic principles and terminology of the DIR-FCD™ model
- Provide assessment of Floortime model interactions
- Develop treatment plans using the DIR-FCD™ model within discipline
Criteria to Take the Course
You must be a professional currently working in the field of speech and language, occupational or physical therapy, education, mental health (psychology, social work, counseling, marriage and family therapy), medicine, developmental optometry or the creative arts. If you are a professional working in another discipline, we welcome you to help us broaden our work!
You must have access to a minimum of two to three cases (children or adults with a developmental disability) throughout the course.
The attendance of a Profectum conference or completion of one of our introductory courses is recommended, but is not a requirement.
This 1-year course is organized into four units.
Unit 1 consists of lectures and discussions. There will be one to two 1 to 2-hour webcast lectures, to be viewed independently, per week and approximately two 2-hour online live classes per month.
Units 2 and 3 consist of lectures, discussions and tutoring. There will continue to be one to two 1 to 2-hour webcast lectures, to be viewed independently, per week and approximately two 2-hour online live classes per month. Depending on the size of the class, and additional 3 hours of tutoring per unit may be required to provide enough tutoring to all participants.
Unit 4 consists of participant presentations of cases, feedback and tutoring continues.
Tuition for the 1-year CL1 Certificate Course is $3000. Payment options:
- In full for all four units
- Per unit prior to the start of each unit
- Unit 1 $850
- Unit 2 & 3 $850
- Unit 4 $450
Recurring automatic monthly credit card payments of $300/month for 10 months are an option. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The following discounts may be available:
- Profectum Member
- Group Discount
Course Completion Requirements
The following criteria must be met in order to acquire a certificate at the end of this course. These criteria should be monitored (record notes) throughout the course:
- Attendance 80% or better*
- No more than 2 absences to the online classes over the course of the year
- No more than 2 absences to tutoring sessions over the course of the year
- *Any missed online class is expected to be viewed via Zoom recording and impressions/comments shared with the instructor in writing to be considered a “make-up” of the content missed.
- Contributes to online classes
- Uses technology as required by instructors
- Camera is on for class
- Uses the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Presentation of a minimum of 3 children over course of the year
- 2+ in tutoring
- 1 for final vignette
- Submit Unit Evaluations for Unit’s 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Complete collaborative Feedback Form
Important additional information for those seeking AOTA Continuing Education credits [ CLICK HERE ]
To make our training available to as broad a group as possible regardless of geography or time zones, Profectum uses video streaming and video conferencing as our standard technology tools. The course relies on you watching webcasts on your own and joining class discussions using video conferencing. You will need a relatively modern PC/MAC and modern broadband internet access. While Wi-fi can work if your home/office has excellent connectivity, a wired internet connection to your PC/MAC is highly recommended.
Please contact – email@example.com – for more information.
The goal of this Professional DIR-FCD™ Model Certificate in Emotional, Social and Cognitive Development program is to provide participants with initial expertise in working with children who have challenges in relating, communicating and thinking while honoring individual differences utilizing a relationship-based approach. Participants will gain an understanding of the principles of coaching parents, paraprofessionals and professionals in the DIR-FCD™ model. Participants who complete this course and meet the course criteria will receive a Profectum Professional DIR-FCD™ Model Certificate in Emotional, Social and Cognitive Development in their discipline.
Professional DIR-FCD™ Model Certificate in Emotional, Social and Cognitive Development Course Unit Topics
Unit 1: Introduction to the DIR-FCD™ Model
- Introduction to the DIR-FCD™ model
- Basic principles of the DIR-FCD™ model
- Introduction to the Functional Emotional Developmental Levels (FEDLS)
- Understanding the child’s individual profile: sensory processing, motor development, language development
- Introduction to the Functional Emotional Assessment Scale (FEAS)
- The neurobiology of autism and regulatory disorders
- Mental health for non-mental practitioners in working with families
Unit 2: Assessment as Treatment
- Assessment through the floortime model interactions
- Definition and videos of each of the Functional Emotional Developmental Levels (FEDLs) 1-6
- Becoming conversant in the model
- Working with a team
- Applying the DIR-FCD™ model principles/best practice guidelines within each discipline: occupational therapy, speech and language pathology, mental health and education
Unit 3: Intervention
- Using the DIR-FCD™ model to build treatment plans with sample treatment plans for: occupational therapy, speech and language pathology, mental health and education
- Prioritizing goals
Unit 4: Thinking More Globally
- Participants share their work with the DIR-FCD™ model within their discipline demonstrating a wide range of children and families working within various social-emotional developmental capacities. Tutoring continues as participants prepare their cases and reflect on the cases of others
Carly Coleman, Occupational Therapist
Profectum Fellow, Certificate Level 2
Benjamin Delgado, Developmental Therapist
Profectum Professional, Certificate Level 1