Our talented faculty contributes resources and publications as they become available. When possible we will provide links that allow you to purchase or access these important resources.
The PLAY Project recently completed a three‐year multi‐site randomized controlled trial which showed improvements in both parent‐child interaction and autism symptomatology.
This large scale study focused on the impact of our autism intervention: a parent-mediated play and relationship focused program
Significant improvements in:
- Caregiver/parent and child interaction
- Social interaction of children with autism
- Social-emotional development of children with autism
- Autism symptomatology
- Improved parent stress and depression; and
- PLAY Project consultant fidelity. In other words, they were true to the PLAY Project model and delivered it as trained.
Visual/Spatial Portals to Thinking, Feeling and Movement: Advancing Competencies and Emotional Development in Children with Learning and Autism Spectrum Disorders
by Serena Wieder, PhD and Harry Wachs, OD
Serena Wieder, PhD (Profectum’s Clinical Director and psychologist) redefines the building blocks of development and the challenges that derail a child’s functioning and learning. For Wieder, vision and space — what is seen by the eyes, transformed by the mind and experienced as movement, plays a crucial but heretofore underestimated crucial role in the development of a child’s thoughts and feelings. Co-author Harry Wachs, OD, a pioneer of developmental vision therapy, offers therapy focused on visual/spatial aspects of development supporting cognition. Based on decades of experience, Wieder and Wachs guide therapists and parents in interventions for use at home, school and therapy offices involving affect based Floortime model approaches and other problem-solving experiences, addressing unrecognized challenges that often derail life competencies, learning and development. A new step-by-step manual presents tools to develop visual/spatial learning. This groundbreaking book changes the way parents and therapists understand child development and work to promote each child’s potential in meaningful ways.
Autism Solutions: How To Create a Healthy And Meaningful Life For Your Child
by Ricki G. Robinson, MD, MPH
- Helping your child relate, communicate and think
- Recognizing and overcoming common health challenges
- Effectively treating diseases and disorders that frequently accompany autism
- Understanding how behavior can be a form of communication and how to “hear” what a child is telling you
- Unlocking your child’s full potential
Comprehensive Assessment and Intervention Using the DIR/Floortime Model
by Sherri Cawn, MA, CCC-SLP
Sherri has forty years of clinical pediatric experience specializing in the assessment and treatment of infants, toddlers, and school-age children and is a leading practitioner of the DIR/Floortime model in speech and language development .
This manual and companion DVD will enable readers to:
- Describe the main components of the DIR/Floortime model, including theory and practice
- Describe how the DIR/Floortime model provides insight and strategies for assessing and treating each child’s individual learning needs
- Identify and classify the stages of functional emotional development
- Examine the relationship between affect, sensory processing, and communication
- Discuss the importance of collaboration with the child’s family in all aspects of assessment and intervention