Growing Development through
Relationships: An Introduction to the DIR-FCD Model
Created By: Monica Osgood, Executive Director, Lynn Abelson, MA, CCC-SLP, OTR/L, Marilee Burgeson, MA CCC-SLP, Griff Doyle, PhD, Caroline Ferguson-Walsh, MS-LP(C), CCC-SLP and the Profectum Presentation Task Force
An inspiring introduction to the basic foundations of the Developmental, Individual Differences, Relationship-based (DIR®) Model. Development grows within a structure of foundational capacities that support relating, communicating, functioning and thinking. Within this presentation, you will learn that each child brings unique sensory processing strengths and differences that foster growth and development at different rates. Affect-rich, attuned relationships with caregivers are central to this model and support the child’s development through emotionally meaningful experiences. The powerful connections between the caregiver and child that are strengthened through the use of this model unlocks the potential for the Foundational Capacities for Development (FCD).
Goals and Objectives
This course is designed as an introduction and/or review of the basic tenets of the DIR-FCD Model for clinicians, paraprofessionals, educators, parents and caregivers.
As a result of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Expand knowledge of development through the lens of the DIR-FCD Model.
- Grow greater depth in understanding the powerful connection between the child and caregiver as the foundation for development.
- Describe, select and apply knowledge of ‘Relationship-Based, Interactive Strategies’ to support intervention in a variety of clinical, educational and home settings.
A Certificate of Attendance will be Issued Upon Completion
Through lecture, group discussion and video examples, participants will have the opportunity to explore how the DIR-FCD Model can help guide our observations, deepen our understanding and attune our intervention as we support the children and caregivers that we serve.
The Introductory Rates Below Apply to the Sep/Oct 2020 Course Only
Profectum Premier Member: Free
Profectum Exclusive Member: $60
Not a member? Join Us! We need you to continue our mission to reach, meet and grow children with special needs and their families! Members have access to great training and support information, plus become part of our community!
Criteria to Take the Course
There are no prerequisites.
- You will need a relatively modern device (PC, MAC, TABLET, PHONE) and strong/reliable internet access.
- While Wi-fi can work if your home/office has excellent connectivity, a wired internet connection to your device is recommended.
- You can test the speed of your internet connection by visiting https://www.speedtest.net. An upload speed of 10mbps or greater is advised.
- If internet access is being shared in your home/office and others are downloading or streaming video at the same time, you may experience connectivity issues.
- Close other applications running on your device before joining the ZOOM session.
|Thank you to Caroline and Marilee for such a beautiful presentation. The passion from both professionals really shows through the way they articulated this information in a simple and informative way. I am very honored to have been part of this conference and I will continue to practice it in my future career path.
|The videos made the material come to life!