Leadership and Board
Profectum Foundation was founded to help parents and practitioners become more adept and effective at working with individuals with special needs. We aspire to build an organization that maximizes its global ability to help the special needs community while always remembering that our faculty and families are why we started the journey to create this organization. As such, we have adopted a governance model that keeps these principles in mind.
In crafting our organization and board, some of the principles we employed include:
- Put a professional in a role to a do a professional’s job. None of us would call our plumber to get help for a dental problem, or a dentist for a car problem, etc. Yet we all too often see individuals put in roles that do not play to what they are uniquely gifted at doing due to perceived importance of titles, tenure, prestige, and a myriad of other reasons. At Profectum, we aspire to avoid this situation as we build our organization. As we grow, we believe in having professional administrators manage the daily operations of the foundation while keeping our scarce resource – our faculty – focused on the clinical and training mission of the organization.
- Election by peers. All of Profectum’s critical work are done in working groups. The leaders of these working groups are elected by members of the group based on the person’s ability to advance the thinking and work of the group.
- Rotational leadership. We believe that new ideas are required in order to continually advance.
Based on our principles, our initial leaders are:
- Clinical Director: Serena Wieder, PhD
- Medical Director and Medical Working Group Chair: Ricki Robinson, MD, MPH
- Mental Health Working Group Co-Chairs: Mona Delahooke, PhD and Gilbert Foley, EdD
- Occupational Therapy/Physical Therapy Working Group Chair: Rosemary White, OTR/L
- Speech-Language Communications Working Group Chair: Sima Gerber, PhD, CCC-SLP
- Education Working Group Co-Chairs: Monica Osgood and Christine Seminaro, M Ed
- Executive Director: Monica Osgood
- Training Course Coordinator: Michele Ricamato, MS, CCC-SLP
- Training Course Coordinator: Christie Virtue, PhD
- Foundation Administrator: Beth Arena
Based on our governance principles, we also created a unique board approach. One-half of the board is comprised on non-clinical board members who help the organization grow and prosper based on their ability to “give”, “get”, and/or “guide”. The other half is comprised of faculty members chosen from among working group chairs (who themselves have been elected by their peers) to ensure Profectum maintains its clinical mission. Our initial board members are:
Non-Faculty Board Members
- Paul Antony, MD MPD, Former Chief Medical Officer
- Geoffrey H. Bracken, Partner, Foley Gardere Foley Lardner, LLP
- Geraldine Dawson, PhD, Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke University Medical Center
- Cuong Do, President, Global Strategy Group at Samsung | Founder, Profectum Foundation
- Shirlee Taylor, PhD, Executive Director, The FAR Fund